The air is turning cooler, football season has started and I don't know about you, but Fall always puts me in the mood for chili.
You know who else likes chili? Green Arrow. In fact, he likes chili so much, it developed into a sort of running gag.
Below I've attached the official "Ollie's Stupendous Chili" recipe. Feel free to modify it to meet your needs or tastes.
- 1 ½ pounds lean sirloin chunks
- 2 tbsp of cumin
- 2 tbsp of paprika
- 1 tbsp of cayenne
- 1 cup minced onion
- ½ cup of chopped green pepper (optional)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp of salt
- ½ of dried basil, crushed
- 1 tbsp California chili powder (hot)
- 1 tbsp Gebhardt chili powder
- 1 tbsp Hot New Mexico chili powder
- 1 16 oz. can of tomatoes cut up
- 2 8 oz. cans of tomato sauce
- 2 16 oz. cans of dark red kidney beans
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- ½ cup water
- Grated Cheese (cheddar)
- Oyster crackers or saltines
- Chopped onions
- In a large saucepan, brown ground beef and spices together until flavor blends well.
- Drain fat.
- Add onion, green pepper and garlic and cook until soft.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, seasonings, tomato sauce and water into a large pan.
- Let simmer for several hour. Occasionally stir.
- Ten minutes before serving, add brown sugar, Tabasco sauce, and beans.
- Serve with "help yourself" bowls of grated cheese, oyster crackers, and chopped onions.